Post Page Advertisement [Top]

But You Won’t Always Have Me

Here’s the lesson I learned from my mother’s love.


A gift

June 2015, the day I wholly spent boxing a parcel for my mother. I started early, had my breakfast, I went to fix all things - a gift that has to be complete. I've been giving gifts to her before, but I love surprises, that's why.

I know she would be having a hard time figuring out how to manage her new phone, so I laid everything flat for her ease. From accounts to settings to apps to SIM, to protective glass and casing.

4PM, a day's worth spent. I couldn't wait another day so I had LBC to deliver it to her. And I hated myself for not doing this sooner. My mother is aging. It's a grave truth I have to admit.

Her story

She was born April 19, 1964. She is no perfect in her youth. Her choice led her to become a mother - too young, unprepared. All those years spent might have been gray, but from the moment I opened my eyes and started to understand her, all I'm seeing is a love that would always bring tears to my heart.

From then on, my mother never missed showing her love to us. I was raised to a love that made me who I am today. The Bible stories that she taught, the DIY crafts we both created, the tears she shed because I can't help myself to drink the medicine for my infection - my mother taught me more about love than all my reads combined.


Utan sinabaw

Years passed, but I can't recall one instant that she missed showing her care and love. She would wake up early and prepare my food every Monday for a long trip back to the city to begin another week's work. And I would always hear her nag to my father to both walk me to the town's stop. And that she would patiently wait during Fridays from my return for the weekend - not to mention a hot bowl of utan sinabaw (vegetable soup) all set in the dining table.


Yearning

My mother is aging fast. Regardless of how indecent the word may be, that wouldn't prevent the day when she will take her last breath.

She had so much to ask for her son, but afraid to. She thinks, I have a life now and so she didn't dare to bother.

Her texts and her calls during office hours may be annoying. Her stories, her messages, all seem to be boring. What more could I ask from a loving mother? How could I miss all the things she loves? How could I forget to comfort her with my presence? Where am I in all these years? When I longed for a woman's love, I seek another. When my mother longs for her son, she lost me?

You won't always have me

A long time ago, the greatest teacher the world has ever known has left a profound lesson for all of us. We know Him by his name - Jesus.

Sometime before His sacrificial death on the cross, Jesus was in Bethany at the home of Simon the leper, when a woman just came to Him with an alabaster jar of exorbitant perfume (Mat. 26:6-13).

Right there, disregarding the crowd, the woman knelt at Jesus' feet, crying, and began to wash His feet with her tears and dry them with her hair. But not just that. She kissed Jesus' feet over and over again, anointing them constantly with the costly perfume she brought. And the room was all filled with the sweet smelling savor.

Expensive! I can imagine how the people reacted. And indeed, immediately someone took the initiative to protest and stood up - Judas Iscariot, the traitor.

"Why wasn't this perfume sold for 300 denarii and the money given to the poor?" Judas Iscariot said.

That we all know, by saying, Judas is after the money and not for the poor. But then listen. Jesus read their hearts. The crowd hushed, and in a gentle and audible voice, He uttered this infamous line:

"Because you will always have the poor with you, BUT YOU WON'T ALWAYS HAVE ME."


Last chance

Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.” Matthew 26:10-13

But you won’t always have me. Yes, these words refer to Jesus Himself but believe, that His words have something to do even with our time today.

Time is flying fast, technology increases, communication booms. And we disregard people - even to the very person we owe our first love.

Our aging mother needs us. My mother needs me. Because I can always have time for myself and friends, but I won't always have her. This is my last chance!

How about you? Do you have similar experience? Why don't you share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.

Bottom Ad [Post Page]