Post Page Advertisement [Top]

It’s When You Give That You Receive

Let’s get this straight. The moment you come to Jesus, you can’t help but give. And giving includes returning His money, not yours. The Bible calls it tithe.


What is it?

Tithe is not something you own. It is something you owe from God. In other words, He’s asking His share from you.

You will not appreciate tithing if you’re not a giver. And most likely you won’t appreciate it more if you won’t believe what the Bible had said about it.

I’ve been practicing tithing since I was a kid. My mother taught us about it. But there’s so much to learn and understand than just mere compliance.

What I learned

One Sabbath afternoon in one of the big Adventist churches in Davao city, I learned from a speaker a beautiful reminder about tithes.

I was on my civil engineering examination review that time. So I took my notes and started to write the three lessons I got from his message:

One

To be successful financially in life is to be faithful in returning His tithe. In the business world, this sounds crazy. But God’s way of banking is different.

I have read an article many years before that I forget what it was, but I remembered it says something like this: "Tithing is like a whole piece of bread. You gave God the tenth slice of bread and in some other way He shares the same slice to you."

Two

To be successful financially in life is to ask the Lord for it. Yes, to ask the Lord for it.

Remember that sometimes in life, you’ll only receive something you already knew what to do. You don’t get a car, do you, if you don't know how to drive? And God eventually works the same way on us too.

God can’t entrust us into business if He saw we’re not showing interest in it. And so He can’t give us 1 million if we’re gamblers.

Three

To be successful in life, you have to pray the other way. So you want money? You pray its tithe.

Instead of praying, “Lord I need 50,000 monthly,” why not pray the other way, “Lord I want to give you tithes 5,000 monthly.” Both are just the same money anyway, but the latter gives you the sense of true stewardship – that you’re not selfish, but others-oriented.

Learn

Thanks for the timely speaker. I didn’t get his name anyway. All I know is that he stands as evidence in his teaching – a successful business person.

Now I have to learn and experience God’s way of business too in my whole life.

Speak to the Levites and say to them: ‘When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the LORD’s offering. Numbers 18:26

What is your tithing experience? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Bottom Ad [Post Page]