Post Page Advertisement [Top]

The Reason Why I Have Fallen In Love (With The Same Woman Three Times)

It was many years ago when I first heard the song I Have Fallen In Love by Jose Mari Chan. Honestly, at first, I didn’t like it. The lyrics and melody seemed good, it’s just not my type. But I do love most of Chan’s songs. I was just in highschool.


Recently, one of our very close friends, Che, pinged us. She said she remembered us while listening to this very music. Well, she just brought back a classic to remembrance. The music is more than just a song. It’s a love story!

Backstory

The song was originally a poem written by former senator Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr. for his wife, Mrs. Aquino. In 1987, when the country was about to commemorate the death anniversary of Ninoy, theater stalwart Cecile Guidote-Alvarez approached Chan and asked him to “set the music” for it. - ABS-CBN News

If you’re not familiar with the song, I created a kinetic typography version of it. The music is not mine, so there’s a copyright claim to it.


Between the lines

Here’s the poem now the lyrics of the song

I have fallen in love
with the same woman three times.
In a day spanning 19 years
of tearful joys and joyful tears.

I loved her first when she was young,
enchanting and vibrant, eternally new.
She was brilliant, fragrant,
and cool as the morning dew.

I fell in love with her the second time;
when first she bore her child and mine
always by my side, the source of my strength,
helping to turn the tide.

But there were candles to burn
the world was my concern;
while our home was her domain.
and the people were mine
while the children were hers to maintain;

So it was in those 18 years and a day.
’till I was detained; forced in prison to stay.

Suddenly she’s our sole support;
source of comfort,
our wellspring of Hope.
On her shoulders fell the burden of Life.

I fell in love again,
with the same woman the third time.
Looming from the battle,
her courage will never fade.

Amidst the hardships she has remained,
undaunted and unafraid.
She is calm and composed.
She is God’s lovely maid.

I can’t find an instrumental version anywhere in Youtube so I created mine. Check it out.


Evocative

Politics aside, I agree how Ninoy views his wife. I noticed how some married couples have lost the spark just a few years after marriage. So many families have lost to temptations. Surely, me and my wife don’t want that to happen to us. This song is a reminder of the sacredness of marriage relation.

Way back, Chan’s song didn’t hit me. Maybe because I was too young then to understand marriage. But when Christian Bautista, in his album released 2009, Romance Revisited: The Love Songs of Jose Mari Chan, sang his version of the song, it’s evocative.

Write it

So Ninoy wrote a poem for his wife, Chan put music to it, Christian Bautista fashioned it into a serenade. And I took it personally. You see when you love, you can’t help but just do things naturally.

Like Ninoy, I too made a song for my wife. Unlike him, I made three.

The first music I composed for my ladylove was when we’re about to meet in Thailand for the first time after LDR. I entitled the song Know That I Love YouThe second song I composed for her is Iktsuarpok. That’s for our second meeting in the Philippines. And the last one is Will You, a marriage proposal through a song

Last words

In his poem, Ninoy fell in love three times when...
  • he first saw his wife
  • they had a child
  • he saw her resilience

If you were to ask me, I fell in love three times when...
  • I saw my wife being faithful to the Lord
  • her being faithful to our marriage
  • her being faithful to our family

How about you my friend? Please find time to rekindle your love to your spouse or your family or anyone around you. It’s never too late to love and be loved.

Bottom Ad [Post Page]