Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Coveting Heaven?

Have you seen yourself showing a strong desire for material possessions? How about covetousness towards spiritual things?


Let’s talk about covetousness in another light.

I fear hell

When I was a kid, I used to fear hell. I often heard the song "oh be careful little eyes what you see. For the Father up above is looking down in love". And I don't want God to see me sinning.

I don't want to go to hell. So as a kid, I admit, I served God because I feared hell.

I love heaven

Upon entering high school, I was introduced to the church how beautiful heaven looks like.

This time, I set aside my fear of hell. The picture of heaven is so vivid in my mind that for the rest of my days as teen I served the Lord because of heaven.

The reward

Like me, Christians might covet heaven because of the reward.

"You see, it's just to believe in Him and we'll have eternal life", they said. True, but the motive is unlikely.

We do not love a person simply because she is rich right? Or that she has a car, nice house, and a high-earning job. We love someone because of who she is, and not what she has.

What makes us think that we should love God that way too? And yet another Christian would also think they must love God because of fear of going to hell.

Love God unconditionally

Note that our love to God must supersede our fear of hell and desire for heaven and eternal life.

Thinking of heaven and hell is a good idea, but a wrong motive for service.

Our only motive to serve is Jesus because "as through Jesus we enter into rest, heaven begins here.” (Desire of Ages page 331)

Heaven would not be desirable to the carnal-minded; their natural, unsanctified hearts would feel no attraction toward that pure and holy place, and if it were possible for them to enter, they would find there nothing congenial. The propensities that control the natural heart must be subdued by the grace of Christ before fallen man is fitted to enter heaven and enjoy the society of the pure, holy angels. (Acts of the Apostles page 273)

Yes, we long for heaven but "Christ is the center of attraction” (Ms 14, 1895, pp1, 2).

Heaven will not be heaven without Christ!

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

What about you friend? What motivates you as a Christian? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Bottom Ad [Post Page]