Post Page Advertisement [Top]

The Tale Of Two Pigeons

I had an unforgettable moment with pigeons back in college. But before that, what’s a pigeon and what’s a dove? Are they the same? If not, how does one tell the difference between a dove and a pigeon?

There are two possible answers people will give:
1. Pigeons and doves are the same.
2. Pigeons and doves are NOT the same.

Funny, because I tried to research online about their difference, and indeed, some say pigeons and doves are the same, while others say they’re NOT. But I’d like to believe more that pigeons and doves are the same. Anyway...


Going back

It was after my last class, late afternoon, when I decided to wait for my friends at the university fountain outside the library, where people feed pigeons. I bought salted peanuts earlier that day so I took it out and started eating.

It didn't take long for the pigeons to notice the food in my hand, so here comes two, from the many of them. One black pigeon, and one pure white. I had the auto feeling of adoring the lovely, white pigeon so I decided to feed it first. Well, my preconceived ideas say white means peace and black means evil.

While feeding the white, I noticed how the black pigeon just stared at me from a short distance, simply waiting for its turn to be fed. After making the white pigeon busy eating peanuts, I turned to the other side to start feeding the black.

Bird versus bird

While throwing the first batch of peanuts to the black pigeon, the white pigeon hurriedly jumped to where the black pigeon was! Eating the share of the black! I thought the white one was done eating and only wanted to share, but to my surprise, some of its peanuts were left uneaten!

Well again my preconceived ideas say white means peace and black means evil. I let it pass. I loved white remember? So I tried feeding the black pigeon again, but still, the white one kept interfering, shooing the black one away!


Unanimous decision

After several tries, I was furious at the white pigeon's behavior. This time, I didn’t let it pass. I stomped my foot towards the white pigeon to scare it away. The white is out. The black is in.

After making sure the white won't appear again, I decided to give all the remaining peanuts to the black. And so, the black ‘ate’ happily ever after.

Black peroration

That day, I realized that as people, we tend to favor good-looking objects, animals, or people. We have tendencies to prioritize the prettier, richer, and more famous.


Our standards are mostly based on what is pleasing in our eyes, but Jesus meant it when He said He is looking at the heart and not the outward appearance.

Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7 (ESV)

Do you have similar experience where you first favor the good-looking but turns out to be a bad decision? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Bottom Ad [Post Page]