Post Page Advertisement [Top]

The Day I Met My Guardian Angel

I had this unforgettable, “must share” experience back when I was 8 yrs old.


Our ride

We started commuting to and from our school, a roughly 30 minutes ride each way, when I was on my second grade¹. I travel with my older sister, so I didn’t have to worry about directions.

We were used to taking one daily route using public ride². But one day, a temporary change on our usual routes was made because the city³ celebrated its annual festival⁴. Also that day, my sister got sick so I had to commute alone.

I was confident traveling though there were changes, until we reached a specific, unfamiliar location, where, the kondoktor (fare collector) asked everyone to go down, signifying the end of their route. It took me by surprise because I didn’t know that would happen. Again, I was only 8.





I'm lost

Then I started to mentally and emotionally panic. The place is all new to me and everyone seems too busy going to their different destinations, maybe to their workplaces, some maybe to  their schools, and no one noticed my struggle since it happened during the busiest part of the morning. I literally got lost!

I thought of asking people where to find motorela⁵ to send me to my school. But because of the festival and because that place was a bit interior, motorelas were nowhere to be found.

I didn’t have much options that time, so as a kid, I was left with only one option.  It’s to CRY! Of course! I was too young to handle getting lost in a city!

Almost help

Then a couple on a motorcycle saw me crying. They asked me if I am a student of the school where they’re working, which later I realized their school has the same color with my school uniform.

The couple insisted that they're going to send me there, which made me cry even more, and told them "That's not my school! I am sure.”

So the couple just left me wandering and went on with their journey.

The walking lost

I kept walking, trying to find familiar places which could possibly connect to my school.  But I know in my mind that I totally was in trouble.

I was lost and maybe by the time I get to school, I will be super late already. Plus! I was already feeling hungry because I hiked.

Halfway to my unsure path, I spent my pocket money in a little “sari-sari store” to comfort myself and spared enough for my fare going back.  And then I went on with the challenge, still crying while walking.

I remembered what my mom said

While losing hope and getting tempted with food at the same time, I remembered the stories I heard in our church every Sabbath about children in trouble, and I also remembered my parents telling me to pray when I am in trouble. So I talked to God loudly, “Please God. I want to go to school. Lead me to the right way.”

A few moments later, I reached the main highway of the city. Passing by the city mall, then some famous schools, until I found a radio station which I know about because my Dad loves listening to it. Also, from that station, I heard announcements of kids getting lost and later get fetched by their parents.


Public announcement

So you know what I was thinking by that time! I really went inside and saw “in person” that anchorman my Dad used to listen. He asked me what's going on and who is my contact. So as an obedient worried child, I spoke to the mic' the way I heard other kids pleaded.

I said "Papa", with his name mentioned. "Please come and get me. I am lost I still want to go to school."

Then the anchorman told me to standby and just wait 'till my Dad will come and get me. But almost two hours had already passed, and no Dad came. So I continued walking along that highway and see if I can find familiar places which could lead me to my school. That’s how worried I was.

Got to do something

In my innocence, I didn’t know that instead of going in the city where my school was, I was actually taking the direction going out of the city, and possibly get lost even more.

As I was heading to the wrong direction, I saw a very familiar lady sweeping dry leaves outside her house.  She was one of my older friends in my first school. She is 6 years older than me.

Familiar face

So I rushed and called her "Ate! What are you doing here? Do you live here?" Which she also recognized me. I told her what happened to me that morning. She told me she could help me ride a public vehicle going to the market, since I also told her if I reached the market, I already know how to get home from there.

She advised me not to go to school anymore because it was lunch time already. So I listened and headed home.

At last

I took the journey home which she helped me with, while feeling both exhausted and devastated because I also had plans for the day! Like yeah, I was 8! I surely had friends waiting for me!

Finally, I reached home safe and I was shouting and crying as I run towards Papa. They wondered why I was home too early.

I told them "If you only knew. I went to the radio station asking you to get me and I met your favorite anchorman.” He answered "Really? Oh, what a shame, I forgot to turn the radio on today." Then I cried more and told them my story.

My Mama said not to worry about my missed classes, they are just very thankful I was able to get home safely.

The lady help

After a month since that incident happened, Mama told me that while she’s in the market, she saw the "ate" whom I was telling them who helped me when I got lost.

She was thanking that lady for helping me, but suddenly that lady wondered and asked her "Why thank me?" That lady said she didn't meet me at all and did not even see me since the day I and my sister moved to another school. She also said she doesn't have a house in that place nor went to that specific place.


Stranger

After finding out what she said, we felt overwhelmed and were left speechless. Who really was that person who helped me that day?

Whoever that person was, I am sure God made His way to show me my way home. Mama said, "then maybe you just met your guardian angel."

That is just one unforgettable testimony that makes me smile every time I remember it even I already reached this age.

For He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways. Psalm 91:11

Now, I’m happily married to a very supportive husband. We are expecting to have our first lovely baby soon.


Truly, God's love, mercy and grace always amazes me!

Footnote:
¹ Grade 2 elementary
² Philippine jeepney
³ Malaybalay city, Philippines
⁴ Kaamulan festival
⁵ Philippine motorized tricycle

Bottom Ad [Post Page]