Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Empty But Filled Church

Oh, how I missed those days - days when our family hikes to the church because the church was a good 300 meters away from our house. Growing up, it has become a norm for my family to attend prayer and vespers meetings (Wednesday and Friday evenings) aside from the weekly Sabbath worship.

This specific experience happened during my middle primary school years.


Attendance needed

At an early age, I overheard leaders from our church, my parents included, discussing the gradual decrease of churchgoers in the evening meetings. An alarming news since members of our church used to be fervent attendees.

Weeks had passed since they called for revival of the neglected evening meetings, the numbers of churchgoers didn’t improve. Nevertheless, our family is one of those who chose to continue attending despite several circumstances.

Such times, my understanding about the importance of going to church is still on prelaunch.

Walk to the church

One Wednesday, after school, we prepped for church as we normally do. Mama And I went to church ahead since my three siblings are riding with papa on his motorcycle. Unlike them, holding mama’s hand while walking is still better than papa's bike.

The church is on the opposite side of the national highway. Just a straight walk along it, 5 minutes and you’re there. We crossed the road, and we started our strides.

As I hike with mama, I remember we chatted and sang choruses like we used to. And I could see from a distance that the church is already lit from where we are walking.

Halfway there, mama exclaimed. "We should hurry! It seems the service has started." She firmly grabbed my hand, and I was striding to keep up.

We were late?

I wondered how the service started already when I knew we left earlier for church than usual. But she’s right. It’s dark, and the brightness inside the church and the white silhouette of several people inside are evident to my mother's words!

Yes, I think they had started and I think we were late! So we hurried. For real, I felt happy because even though we were late, at long last, many churchgoers came!

When we reached the church, our anxious excitement turned to a big puzzle - the church is closed, front door locked, nobody is inside - and here’s the best part - all the lights are out! I mean, what?

As a kid, I could play for hours and still stay sharp - I’m definitely not dreaming! Yes, I’m gasping for breath, since mama walked fast, but what we both saw earlier is not a hunch. And this church is the only building around. Before it is an empty grass land.

So we checked again. We looked through the windows. Confirmed, nobody’s there!

We knocked several times, then lola Laurel, who’s taking care of the church, opened the door for us. I know my Maths, lola is not ‘several people’ contrary to what we saw earlier.

Empty but filled

When papa, my siblings and some other church members came, we decided to have a special worship. 

Mama and I told everyone what we saw minutes before getting there. Everyone was surprised, except for one - lola Laurel.

“This place isn't just a church,” lola Laurel said. “It is the house of God and His angels. For sure, what you saw earlier were angels who were used to attending the worship with us. We may fail to come, but they will never fail to worship the Lord.”

What a joy. We all went home filled with it, knowing that even though we were really few, the church will always be filled when we worship.

For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them. Matthew 18:20 20

Do you have similar experience how God blessed you when you worship Him? Please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!

Bottom Ad [Post Page]